Senin, 06 Mei 2013

Tulips in potsworks for me!

tulipsinpots2013
For the past 8 years or so, I have been filling up pots with tulips at the same time I do my October in-ground bulb plantings. Species tulips and other small bulbs like erythronium go in the ground, and the big hybrid tulips go into pots and a couple circular raised beds I installed specifically for tulips and annuals. I have no problem composting the tulips when Im donethe show is always best the first year, and they only return reliably for maybe two years, especially in my shady front yard. Its fun to choose different colors every year.

This year, its Prinses Irene and Christmas Orange, with some Orange Princess and Black Hero (both doubles) thrown in.

942937_10151689272157525_356593802_n
In the raised beds (above) I have Temples favorite, which I think might also go under the name Temple of Beauty. These, combined with all the species varieties I have, make a great spring show and provide the last burst of color Ill see out hereonce the maples leaf out, Im done. I guess many might see this as wasteful, high-maintenance gardening but its the most fun I have all year. Making my perennials do what I want them to donow thats work.

Share This Article Facebook +Google Twitter Digg Reddit