Rabu, 08 Mei 2013

Return of the Farmer Pirates

compostpirates
Some of you may remember the Kickstarter campaign I posted for Buffalos Farmer Pirate cooperative. It was successful; the group bought their dump truck and now theyre using it to pick up organic matter from restaurants, grocery stores, and other commercial sites. Theyve also added a residential compost program. The other day I received a 5 gallon bucket from a couple pirates. Theyll be picking it up in a couple weeks, with pick-ups continuing throughout the growing season.

Technically, I already compost at home, but the experience has not been super-successful. I have a compost tumbler wedged in between my garage and the neighbors fence, but I rarely get back there to tumble the thing, or put anything in it. Its not convenient where it is, but a composting operation would be unsightly anywhere else in my small courtyard garden.

Thanks to the pirates, urban residents who, like me, dont have the space to compost, can still recycle organic matter that might otherwise end up in a landfill. Or, in my case, I might be so embarrassed to be resorting to this that I might find a way to make composting work at home.

Share This Article Facebook +Google Twitter Digg Reddit